Top 10 things to do in North Dakota, you betcha.
- Written by Johnny D. Boggs
- Published August 06, 2012
I lived in Texas too long. The Lone Star State is all about Big, Biggest, Best.
What’s the first thing that strikes me as I make my way toward Bismarck, North Dakota? A sign touting the smallest county seat in America.
So first stop on my Top 10 Things to Do in North Dakota must be:
10. Visit Amidon. Okay, you won’t find much to do in a town of 26 people, but this is Slope County’s pride and joy. Don’t believe me? Just ask the 140 people who call Marmarth—Slope County’s largest burg—home.
9. See big things on the Enchanted Highway. Just so you don’t think all’s small in North Dakota, get off Interstate 94 at exit 72. Regent native Gary Greff has put up the world’s largest metal sculpture, Geese in Flight, The Tin Family and others, along 32 miles of highway east
8. Kill time at Killdeer Mountain. About 8.5 miles northwest of Killdeer, this state historic site commemorates the July 28, 1864, battle between Gen. Alfred Sully’s troops and Teton, Yanktonai and Dakota Indians. While it doesn’t have the Little Big Horn’s reputation or fan base, the scenery’s pretty.
7. Say howdy to Louis L’Amour. Sure, the man who gave us Hondo and the Sacketts left his hometown at an early age, but Jamestown still remembers this legendary Western novelist. Frontier Village, a...
The full text of this article is available to registered users of TrueWestMagazine.com. Register now!
Registration is FREE and takes only a few seconds to complete. If you are already registered on TrueWestMagazine.com, please log in below.
SUBSCRIBE today and save!
Get instant access to subscriber content on TrueWestMagazine.com!
When it comes to keeping the lore of the West alive, nobody does it better. True West readers get the no-holds-barred, straight shootin' facts about the West from our staff of experts and historians.
(Newsstand cover price--$71.88)
(Newsstand cover price--$143.76)
(Newsstand cover price--$215.64) BEST OFFER!
After subscribing, just come back here and register with us by clicking on the register link below.