- Written by Johnny D. Boggs
- Published August 31, 2010
In Sacramento, California, you can still discover gold, and it comes in all shapes, sizes and colors.
Here are 10 things you need to do, and see if you can do it in one day. If you can’t, heck, make it two days or more. You’ll find out lots of gold is waiting to be discovered in this historic city.
10. Eat a Hearty Breakfast: The Sunrise Sandwich at the Magnolia Grill? A special omelet at the Fox & Goose Public House? Or a traditional eggs and bacon at the institution known as Jim-Denny’s? Eat well. You’ll be busy.
9. Go Military: Yes, blue-backing, liberal-leaning, wacky California is gung ho for the military, at least it is at the California State Military Museum, which preserves the state’s military heritage.
8. Be Filthy Rich: Take the guided tour at the Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park, the restored, four-story Victorian home of the ex-guv, rail tycoon and founder of Stanford University that serves as an official gathering place for state leaders. No, current-Guv “The Terminator” hasn’t wrecked the joint yet.
7. Go Native: The California State Indian Museum not only tells the story of...
The full text of this article is available to registered users of TrueWestMagazine.com. Register now!
Registration is FREE and takes only a few seconds to complete. If you are already registered on TrueWestMagazine.com, please log in below.
SUBSCRIBE today and save!
Get instant access to subscriber content on TrueWestMagazine.com!
When it comes to keeping the lore of the West alive, nobody does it better. True West readers get the no-holds-barred, straight shootin' facts about the West from our staff of experts and historians.
(Newsstand cover price--$71.88)
(Newsstand cover price--$143.76)
(Newsstand cover price--$215.64) BEST OFFER!
After subscribing, just come back here and register with us by clicking on the register link below.