- Written by Mark Boardman
- Published August 01, 2009
We now know just where the Mexican army surrendered to Sam Houston’s forces at the Battle of San Jacinto.
You mean, the site was lost? The place where Texas independence was achieved in 1836, where “Remember the Alamo!” became a cry for the ages?
Hard to believe—but true.
A group of San Jacinto veterans marked “the site” in 1890, but their memories were bad; they marked the wrong place.
Historians have suspected the actual location was in a heavily wooded and overgrown piece of land owned by NRG Energy, which has a power plant at the battleground.
Enter Roger Moore and his company, Moore Archeological Consulting of Houston. He obtained $50,000 in grants and permission from NRG to check the site. In April, he announced the find: piles of unfired musket balls and Mexican uniform buttons among other items. Many of the artifacts were neatly arranged—as they would have been if their owners made a disciplined surrender.
The items were taken to Texas A&M for preservation work. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department—which owns and operates the San Jacinto State Historic Site—will soon place them on display.
800-792-1112 - TPWD.state.tx.us
- Next >>